Sunflower Bakery (www.sunflowerbakery.org) prepares young adults with learning differences for employment through the pastry arts and Café Sunflower employment training programs. The pastry program includes 560 hours of professional instruction, skills training and paid in-house internships (for 18 to 22 students annually). Café Sunflower offers a nine-month on-the-job program for eight young adults and serves four to six interns annually.
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
• $250 covers tools for one student to practice new skills.
• $1,000 buys instructional ingredients/supplies for one student.
• $10,000 underwrites the program fee for two low-income students.
• One day: Introduce Sunflower at career/high school fairs for students seeking workforce training; or enlist an organization in Sunflower’s Sweets of the Month dessert subscription program.
• Weekly: Assist employees at Café Sunflower.