Project Change: Team of Stars Program (www.projectchange-md.org) offers a summer and after-school program that fosters positive youth development through musical theater. The 6-year-old program serves approximately 100 middle school youths from low-income households annually. The analysis, writing, performance and production of plays opens dialogue with students on issues such as drugs, alcohol, bullying, gangs and prejudice. Daily classes of dance, music, theater, gym, “dialogue circles,” stagecraft and interactive art focus on leadership and anti-bullying.
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
• $250 underwrites two days of snacks for 40 campers—sometimes the snack serves as their dinner.
• $1,000 provides 166 lunches—often the youths’ only hot meal of the day.
• $10,000 provides five weeks of summer camp and positive life skills training for 10 youths.
• Ongoing: High school students can mentor middle school youths in camp and the after-school program.
• One day or ongoing: Provide support with marketing, communications, assessments and evaluations.
• Student Service Learning hours