Manna Food Center (www.mannafood.org) distributes food to help ensure that approximately 40,000 low-income individuals and families in Montgomery County have enough to eat. Every Friday during the school year, 2,650 students receive healthy foods to sustain them over the weekend. Community Food Rescue and Nutrition Education programming round out Manna’s multifaceted approach to ending hunger in the county.
Serves: Montgomery County
What a donation buys:
• $250 rescues 2,000 pounds of food from grocery stores.
• $1,000 provides 40 families with 60 pounds of food.
• $10,000 provides a year’s worth of weekend “Smart Sacks” to 50 elementary school children.
• One day: Pack boxes of fresh food and sort canned goods (must be 17 or older).
• One day: Host a food drive.
• Student Service Learning hours