International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org/us-program/us-silver-spring) helps people whose lives were shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. The IRC in Silver Spring makes sure newly arrived refugees receive a furnished home, health care, English language classes, social services, legal support, wraparound career readiness training and support. Its Silver Spring resettlement office has empowered 8,000 refugees since 2006, including 4,500 individuals beginning new lives in Montgomery County.
Serves: Montgomery and Prince George’s counties
What a donation buys:
• $250 provides 10 meals for a newly arrived refugee family.
• $1,000 sponsors 15 classes for adults striving to learn English.
• $10,000 provides training and job search support for 15 adults so that they can support their families.
• One day: Organize a drive for gently used toys, books, clothes and household items that can help a newly arrived family.
• Monthly: Become a mentor for refugee families and individuals.
• Student Service Learning hours