Lightbulb Sparks Fire That Displaces Family in Silver Spring

Flames started in bedroom in incident that caused closure of Colesville Road


Published:

Via Pete Piringer/Twitter

A family of three was displaced after a lightbulb caused a fire in the bedroom of a single-family home in Silver Spring on Tuesday night.

No one was injured, but the fire caused about $30,000 in damage at a house on the 9000 block of Colesville Road, according to Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer.

A passerby alerted the residents and they got out of the home safely at about 8:20 p.m., Piringer wrote on Twitter. After that, 45 firefighters responded and extinguished the flames.

Colesville Road was closed in both directions at Lanark Way, south of University Boulevard, for about an hour as firefighters fought the flames.

Officials consider the cause of the fire to be a 100-watt incandescent lightbulb that was too close to combustible materials in a bedroom closet.

Back to Bethesda Beat

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Archive »Related Articles

Montgomery County Sees Sharp Increase in First-Day Early Voting Turnout Compared to 2014

Nearly 4,300 showed up to cast ballots on Thursday

Slapfish To Open in July in Rockville

California chain to offer special ‘Clobster Cake’ that’s half crab, half lobster

Triple Lane Closures Planned for Beltway’s Outer Loop This Weekend

Crews will work on resurfacing the bridge over Kensington Parkway

Voters' Guide: Candidates for Montgomery County Executive

Here's what you need to know before you vote
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module

Profiles

Your Guides to Leading
Local Professionals

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module

Edit Module
SPONSORED CONTENT
 

Vote for Karla Silvestre on June 26

A parent, educator and experienced community leader: Karla Silvestre for Board of Education, At-Large