County Police Investigate Death of Quince Orchard High Football Player

Detectives are reviewing circumstances with county prosecutors to determine if criminal charges are warranted



Detectives are investigating the death Sunday of a 17-year-old Quince Orchard High School football player who collapsed Jan. 29 after fighting with a man at a community basketball court in Gaithersburg, according to Montgomery County police.

Police announced Monday evening that detectives from the department’s Major Crimes division are reviewing with the Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office the circumstances surrounding the death of Tyler Steven Terry of Gaithersburg to determine if criminal charges are warranted, according to a press release. 

The teen had been hospitalized since collapsing on the ground and becoming unconscious after the fight. Tests conducted at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., after the incident showed Terry did not sustain an injury during the fight, but did suffer a “cardiac event,”  according to police. The tests also confirmed the presence of a pre-existing medical condition. Terry was declared dead Sunday at the hospital and officials determined no autopsy would be conducted because the pre-existing condition had been identified.

Detectives began investigating after county rescue workers found Terry appearing to be in cardiac arrest around 8 a.m. Jan. 29 at the basketball court in the area of Hillstone Road and Timber Rock Road . According to police, two groups of people had met at the basketball court with the intention of fighting.

Terry and a man from the other group fought first. There was “minimal physical contact” and after a few minutes, Terry “stopped fighting and walked away from his opponent, appearing as if he were tired,” according to police. There were two more fights involving people from the two groups during the next five to 10 minutes. During the third fight, Terry collapsed on the ground and became unconscious and witnesses called 911. He was transported to a local hospital and then transferred to Children's National Medical Center, police said. 

Witnesses recorded the three fights and Terry’s collapse on their phones, police said.

Quince Orchard Principal Carole Working announced Terry’s death Monday morning in a message sent to the school community.

“For those of you who knew Tyler, we ask that you remember and celebrate his passion for football, his love of his family and friends, and his great big infectious smile,” Working wrote in a letter to the community.

The teen, who was a linebacker, in December signed a letter of intent to play football at Monmouth University in New Jersey. He planned to major in accounting, according to a Monmouth press release.  

Back to Bethesda Beat

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Archive »Related Articles

Woman Injured in Rockville Crash Dies

Two cars collided Monday afternoon on Randolph Road

What’s Next for the Empty Safeway Store in Downtown Bethesda?

Property manager says she’d love another grocer to lease the space

Office Building on Sunoco Site Will Be Designed To Draw Bioscience Companies to Bethesda

Developers say proximity to Walter Reed, NIH will attract life science companies

Updated: Pizza Delivery Driver Dies After Shooting in Burtonsville

County police found Rockville man in a vehicle with trauma to his body
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module


Your Guides to Leading
Local Professionals

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module

Edit Module