Fire Spreads from Fireplace Through Bethesda House, Displacing Family

Occupants of Westfield Drive house got out safely


Published:

Firefighters outside the house in the 7600 block of Westfield Drive.

Via Pete Piringer/Twitter

A fire spread from a fireplace to the second floor and exterior of a Bethesda house Tuesday night, damaging the house, but no one was injured, according to a rescue official.

The family living in the 7600 block of Westfield Drive was alerted by a smoke alarm and got out safely before firefighters arrived at about 8:45 p.m. to investigate smoke coming from the house, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer wrote on Twitter.

Firefighters controlled the fire by 9:15 p.m., according to Piringer. The flames caused about $100,000 in damage and displaced two adults and two children.

Fire officials determined that the fire originated in a gas fireplace enclosure on the first floor, then spread up the walls to the second floor and outside, according to Piringer. The cause was deemed accidental.

Interior damage to the house. Via Pete Piringer/Twitter

Back to Bethesda Beat

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Archive »Related Articles

Elrich Certified as Democratic Nominee in County Executive Primary

Blair will have three days to request a recount

Week Ahead: County Council Expected To Tie Bow on Stormwater Contracting Compromise

Plus: Elections board to certify vote totals, school board to review early childhood education programs

Police Blotter: Thieves Rob Montgomery County Liquor Store; Robbery at Bethesda Whole Foods

Crimes reported to Montgomery County and Rockville police from June 11-26

Mattie Stepanek Remembered; Metro Workers Authorize Strike; Cat Freed From Air Conditioning Duct

News, announcements and other helpful links for Monday morning
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module

Profiles

Your Guides to Leading
Local Professionals

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module

Edit Module