11 Workers Exposed to Carbon Monoxide at Rockville Business

Authorities say six people were hospitalized


Published:

Six workers were hospitalized Wednesday afternoon after inhaling carbon monoxide as they installed commercial ovens for the opening of a Rockville bakery, according to authorities.

Renovations are underway at 804 Hungerford Drive so the bakery, Fresh Baguette, can move into the space formerly occupied by Banner Glass, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service spokesman Pete Piringer said. Exhaust from a truck that was pouring concrete and fumes from an oven whose ventilation system hadn't been hooked up probably combined to increase carbon monoxide levels in the building, he said.

A supervisor contacted authorities around noon after workers standing on ladders grew lightheaded, Piringer said. Six workers were taken to the hospital as a precaution, but none were suffering from life-threatening conditions, he said. Another five people were evaluated and declined transportation to the hospital.

Back to Bethesda Beat

Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags

Archive »Related Articles

Staff Finds Racist Graffiti in Richard Montgomery High School Classroom

​Messages of “Trump power” and a racial slur were written on a white board

School Notes: County Education Leaders Stand Behind Protections For Transgender Students

Plus: Minority Scholars Program holds sixth retreat; two boundary studies up for consideration

Study Group To Look at Using Woodward High To Deal With Capacity Crunch at Eight Schools

Group will also brainstorm about moving alternative programs into nontraditional spaces

Small Bites: Mission BBQ Sets Opening Date in Rockville

Plus: Silver Spring Popeyes closes, Sweetgreen to go cashless
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit Module

Profiles

Your Guides to Leading
Local Professionals

Edit Module
Edit Module
Edit ModuleShow Tags